12.05.2009

Latisse




Call me hopeful, call me gullible, call me crazy, but I am a really easy target for flashy claims made by beauty products. If a cream promises to reduce the appearance of my fine lines and wrinkles by 25%, it's mine. If a toothpaste guarantees me teeth that are 3 shades whiter in just 2 weeks, you can bet it will end up in my medicine cabinet. So when I saw Brooke Shields batting her long, luscious lashes at me in a Latisse ad along with a cheerful voiceover telling me about their impressive numbers from the clinical trials, I immediately knew that I, too, must have lashes that were 25% longer, 106% fuller and 18% darker in 12-16 weeks.

From the Latisse website:




Despite my relentless optimism when it comes to the quest for beauty, I am somewhat realistic in my expectations. Usually if you even a small fraction of the results promised in these ads, you're lucky. Sometimes they even seem to do more harm than good. So when I started my nightly Latisse regimen, I wasn't necessarily expecting much. Hoping, yes, but expecting... Not really. So I was surprised when after about a month I noticed that it didn't take me as long to get my mascara to look great. Then a few weeks later, I had to switch mascaras because the Lancome Hypnose with the Cils Booster (awesome stuff, by the way) was just too much. After 4 months, no joke, if I go out in a strong wind, I can actually feel them blowing in the breeze! It's pretty bizarre, but I absolutely love it. I decided it was time to switch to the maintenance dose of every-other-day application when I noticed that my eyelashes were so long that they were almost touching my eyebrows! (See the last photo below)

Here are my lashes (with mascara) before:





Here are some images of me before Latisse, but with fake lashes on:





And here are a couple of me now (also with mascara):





This is what I've figured out: My lashes without mascara now look like they did before when I had mascara on. Now, if I wear mascara, I get the same look as if I had put on fake lashes before. I actually pulled out a set of my trusty MAC lashes to look at while working on this blog post, and when I tried them on, I discovered that my own natural lashes are now just a tiny bit longer than my fake ones were!

I am posting this here because I know that many of our brides, in the quest for perfection on the wedding day, wear fake lashes. Don't get me wrong, I am very much in favor of this. When done properly, they look incredible, especially in pictures. I used to wear them for photo shoots all the time. But the thing about most fake lashes is that even if they look great on the wedding day, they aren't much good to you while you are splashing around in the Caribbean on your honeymoon! They also require tedious application and putting glue on your eye, plus they could theoretically fall off or lift a little at the edges during the wedding day. We actually see this a lot!

So if you are looking for an option that will give you incredible lashes for your wedding, honeymoon, and beyond, I highly recommend that you talk to your doctor about Latisse. If you live in Northwest Arkansas, give Dr. Taylor's office a call to set up a consult. I have used them for assorted beauty "enhancements" since 2006, and I have nothing but good things to say about him and his staff!

Vital Stats
Cost: about $120 for a 1-month supply
Regimen: Apply nightly before bed
Results: Some improvement after about a month, full results in 12-16 weeks
Side Effects: Minimal in my experience, see the Latisse website for full information
Tips: My "1-month supply" actually lasts 2 full months because I use a clean eyeliner brush to apply it instead of the brushes that come with the product. I have found one drop total (instead of 1 per eye, as it suggests) is plenty with this approach.

DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way qualified to dispense medical advice! I am not a doctor, I am a photographer, and Latisse is a drug, not just a beauty product. This blog post is just to inform you of my own individual, anecdotal experience with Latisse! If you think you are interested, please talk to your doctor first and listen to whatever he or she has to say about it first. In other words, if your eyes fall out, please don't sue me! : )

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Wow! This is amazing! I was wondering if that stuff worked. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is awesome! I have a presciption, but haven't started it because I was a little scared of some of the side effects. I'm going to start tonight so my lashes look like yours!

    ReplyDelete